Given the security alert level in the United States and concerns about profiling, how would you approach your job search? You're not a terrorist, you don't have any connection with terrorism, but you fear the name Muhammad may be hampering your job search. What do you do?
Here are some possibilities for dealing with a name such as "Muhammad" on a resume:
- Ignore the profiling issue and use your full non-American name proudly.
- Legally change your name to an American name, such as Michael.
- Substitute a nickname (such as "Mo") for Muhammad on your resume, putting it in quotes to indicate that it's a nickname.
- Use simply the initial M instead of spelling out Muhammad.
- Type Muhammad, followed by a nickname (for example, "Mike") as a way of saying, "This is what my American friends and co-workers call me."
I want to know what YOU think (even if your name isn't Muhammad). Please tell us in the comments section after this post.