Monday, February 02, 2009

Wall Street to Nonprofit Resume

Question
I am a former Wall Street investment banker with an MBA from Northwestern who has been out of the traditional work force for 15 years. I left investment banking when my family relocated and I was pregnant with a third child. Since that point, I have volunteered extensively and have been president and vice president of several local not-for-profit boards. I truly utilized and broadened my skills during this period.

I am interested in pursuing positions in the not-for-profit/education area. The real meat of my experience is in investment banking, but that was a number of years ago. How should I organize my resume?

Answer
Definitely use a chronological resume format to highlight your work history. Like most chronological resumes, yours should list your work history in reverse chronology (most recent first) so that your experience with not-for-profits will be listed near the top of your Experience section. If you have spans of time when you were not volunteering, use "Full-time parent" as a job title to fill that gap.

Consider placing your Education section just under your Summary of Qualifications section. This will show off your MBA, which is relevant to nonprofit management.

No comments: