Friday, October 24, 2008

Recent Short-Term Job on Resume

Question
I am an administrative professional who recently left a five-month position because of a verbally abusive boss. I'm not sure whether to include this on my resume as this is my most recent position and I'm currently looking for work.

My dilemma is I left my previous position of seven months because I was recruited by this last employer. All other employment on my resume has been at least three years. I'm afraid if I don't list it on my resume and then have to list it on a job application, it will look like I lied on my resume. On the other hand, if I don't list it on my resume, how do I bring it up in my interview?
--Jill

Answer
You should definitely put your most recent position on your resume. Don't list months, just put years for all positions in your work history. That means for your most recent job you'll put simply "2008."

If your last two jobs were in the administrative line, here's another way to handle the short-term positions on your resume:

2007-2008, Administrative positions
ABC Company, Job Title

- An accomplishment statement that's relevant to your job objective.
- Another accomplishment that's relevant to your job objective.
- Another accomplishment that's relevant to your job objective.

DEF Company, Job Title
- An accomplishment statement that's relevant to your job objective.
- Another accomplishment that's relevant to your job objective.
- Another accomplishment that's relevant to your job objective.

On your application you'll be required to give the months along with the years. When the employer looks at the application and resume together, he or she will see that the dates are in sync and you'll be fine.

On your resume, there's no need to say why you left your last job. In today's economic climate, many people are experiencing short-term employment. But the "Why did you leave?" question will most certainly come up in your interview, so practise your explanation before the interview so you answer it confidently.

No comments: