As a manager, would you think it strange to receive a resume in an envelope that was hand addressed?
To save energy (electricity), I've been hand addressing envelopes lately instead of running them through my laser printer. If I was a job seeker and sent you my resume via US Post in a hand-addressed envelope, would you think:
1. I was technically unsavvy (not a good thing).
2. I was giving my application special care (a good thing).
3. Being gimmicky to get your attention (not a good thing).
4. It didn't matter because you wouldn't be the one opening the envelope.
5. It didn't matter even though you did open the envelope.
I asked this question of the HR community on LinkedIn. To date there are 41 answers, ranging from "It would really impress me" to "I wouldn't even open it." Many said, "It depended on how good the handwriting was." I would definitely fail that test!