Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Add Weight to Your Best Achievements

You could be happier in your next job if your resume gives more weight to projects and responsibilities you like, and less to tasks you don't like.

For example, let's say you're a salesperson who loves going out in the field, meeting folks and chatting up your products. Unfortunately, in your current job you only get to do that about 20% of the time. The other 80% of your work week is spent in the office doing administrative tasks that you're not particularly fond of. For your next job, you'd like to spend way more time in the field and much less time behind a desk. Here's a way to ask for that: On your resume, switch those percentages around! About 80% of your bullet points should be about sales, and about 20% about administration. For instance, if you have five bullet point statements under your current job, the first three or four should be about your sales achievements; the last one or two should be about administration. See how you've redefined yourself for your next job?

This leans on my philosophy: Your resume is about your future, not your past.

No comments: