Monday, January 05, 2009

2009 Priorities - Not Resolutions

No new year's resolutions for me. I've never been good at turning over a new leaf, and 2009 will be no exception. Instead, I'm reprioritizing things I already do with the hope that it will make me more balanced.

Here are my top three priorities:

1. Personal well being : physical, mental, and spiritual. Without this, I really can't be successful with my other two priorities. By the way, this does not mean I'm starting a new diet or exercise routine!

2. Relationships : family and friends. They're the ones who make it all worthwhile.

3. Career : this is a big one -- so big that if I put it first I might not have time for the other two, so this year it's been bumped down to #3.

During this economic downturn, it may seem counter-intuitive to put personal well being and relationships ahead of career. But I firmly believe that without a strong footing on #1 and #2, career success will be a much longer reach. To paraphrase my good friend Michael, it's just too easy to get "fragmented" these days, making it hard to be as efficient and productive as you know you can be.

In the best of times, my professional life goes more smoothly when I'm centered, and feel connected to friends and family. If today's economy continues heading south, or even levels off, we're all going to need as much inner strength and community support as we can get. It may not be as easy as 1-2-3, but it's a place to start.

No comments: