Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Three-Year Gap on Resume

Question
I was employed last in August of 2005. At that time, with no warning, I was given my walking papers. I was completely stunned. No warning, nothing. I asked why and the supervisor said I wasn't doing my job, which was completely untrue. I was a good employee for their company. They refused unemployment and so I filed an appeal and won, getting six months of unemployment insurance.

Shortly after this happened, my mother-in-law got sick and we took her in to stay with us. She has now left, and I am actively pursuing work in an administrative capacity. What about the gap on my resume and what about the job application that asks, "Have you ever been discharged and why?"
--Carol

Answer
Here's how to handle the three-year gap in employment on your resume. If you did any volunteer work that involved paperwork while taking care of your mother-in-law, list that as your most current "job title." (There's no need to say that if you were not paid for your work). It might look like this:
2005-present, Fundraiser, ABC Organization, City, State
- Managed administrative records as part of an active fundraising team. Typed and mailed donor solicitation and acknowledgement letters, and updated donor database.

If you didn't do any volunteer work but provided financial management for your mother-in-law as part of your care giving, you could put that on your resume. It might look something like this:
2005-present, Full-time Caregiver to Parent
- Handled financial matters, including insurance claims, trust administration, and accounts payable, in addition to providing home nursing.

If you did both, then list it like this:
2005-present, Fundraiser, ABC Organization, City, State
while serving as Full-time Caregiver to Parent

- Managed administrative records as part of an active fundraising team. Typed and mailed donor solicitation and acknowledgement letters, and updated donor database.
- Handled financial matters for parent, including insurance claims, trust administration, and accounts payable.

On your job application you will have to say "yes" to the question about having been discharged. Your explanation should be something brief, such as, "Misunderstanding." Then be prepared to talk about it in your job interview.

Best of luck with your job search!

No comments: