Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Internal Job Application with Employment Gap

Question
I am currently trying to apply for an internal position posted by my employer, however, I left this company and have recently returned. Could you offer any suggestions on how I could present this information/timeline on my resume?
Thanks,
Jennifer

Answer
Hi Jennifer,
If you held the same job title throughout your time with that employer, you could state it like this:
200x-200x, 200x-present, Job Title
Name of your current employer, City, State

If you held two or more different job titles while employed there, you could list it like this:
200x-200x, 200x-present, Name of your current employer, City, State
Job Title (200x-present)
Job Title (200x-200x)
Job Title (200x-200x)

If you feel the need to explain why you left the company and then returned, do so in the cover letter, not in the resume.

I hope this is helpful and that you win the job!

To see another post about a similar situation, see Four-Month Job on Resume.

No comments: