Friday, December 07, 2007

Credit Reports and the Job Search

This email is from a frustrated job seeker. I don't know much about CRAs, so I can't comment on it. But I thought I'd post it here for others to chime in.

Recently I applied for a job. I chose not to list a previous employer on my resume because it was only 38 days. The terms changed from when they hired me. It wasn't a good fit for me. I was then, for the first time, introduced to consumer reporting agencies.

The previous employer reported I was terminated for failure to report. Prior to my resignation, I tried numerous times to notify the supervisor. They would not return my calls. My cell records show 19 phone calls I made to them.

Consequently, when I applied for another job, I was denied the job based on the CRA content. I felt violated that I have no say, no privacy, no choice. And worst of all, neither employer had my permission and/or informed me prior to taking an adverse action.

I have consulted an attorney, as neither employer complied with the FTC. The report was inaccurate and has cost me employment. I just don't think it's fair that the burden of proof lies with the employee. Needless to say, I am disgusted with this particular CRA. In my research in all this, anything and everything can be reported -- true or false -- subjective and objective. What's left? My blood type? DNA?

No comments: